28-06-12

Little Francis

A few weeks ago one of Foppe's Acre Originals collectors Sandra commissioned a 4x4 inch miniature painting of a wee duckling that she and her friend once rescued.
Francis was a special little mallard duckling, a real fighter with a bright spirit that burned so brightly and flamed out far too soon. He was weak and shaky and Sandra's best friend worked very hard to save him but it was an uphill battle. Ultimately, it was a battle that could not be won.

Sandra very much liked a painting to remember him by and asked me if I could paint two copies, one for herself and one for her friend. She only had one low quality photo for me to work from.

It was a challenge to try to capture the cuteness and personality of this little kid but after a few sketch rounds both Sandra and I were happy with the result and I could start to paint him.

This past week Francis portrait arrived at Sandra's home in the United States and I am proud to post it today:-)




















Below is the original photo I worked from. Sandra very much liked Francis' stretched left foot and his open beak showing how determined he was to fight his battle but unfortunately lost.














Sandra's reaction on Francis' portrait:
"Francis arrived!!! I LOVE him!! He is even better than I'd imagined! I am so, so pleased and happy with this little version of Francis and I cannot wait to present a copy to my best friend, Kate! I think she's going to be so surprised and thrilled and I know she will love him every bit as much as I do. I'm sure we will chat and share a few fond memories of our tiny guy. What a wonderful tribute to a little duckling friend that neither of us will ever forget. Thank you so much for your thoughtful work and for capturing his little spirit forever. I will absolutely treasure him and Thursday can't come soon enough, which is the day I plan to give Kate her miniature of Francis. Thank you so much for everything you did to make this tribute happen! This means so much to me and is too special to adequately express in words. You exceeded my highest hopes and expectations!"

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen