14-09-12

Día de los Muertos

Aaaah, today I've been busy preparing for Halloween (yes, this early;-) Since my shop is based in The Netherlands and shipping worldwide always takes one to two weeks I don't often create things for special occasions but this time I had a great idea.

I've made a couple of Pysanky goose eggs (Pysanky is a Northern European way of decorating eggs by using melted wax (batik) and drawing in layers, e
ach layer will be dyed seperately to create different colors). I've made goose egg sugar skulls in the Mexican 'Day of the Dead' tradition.
I'm not completely satisfied yet, need to get the hang of it again but already they look quite nice. Just need to tweak a few details and then I'll make a whole batch.

The idea behind this design is that the egg shows four facial expression when you turn the egg (it's meant to hang). It's supposed to be a cat-skull but that's not really clear in these two finished eggs. I might give it a paper crown with ears (not sure yet). As shown in the pencil drawing I'm working on tweaking the details (cheeks and whiskers, nose) to make it more cat-like (I may even change the pupils).
I think they're going to be fantastic, so no more delay and on with the day (of the dead;-)

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen